Garbage disposals are a common household appliance, but when they stop working, it can be a huge inconvenience. There are a few things you can do to try to fix the problem before calling a professional.
In the first part of this guide, we’ll go over some ways you can address basic common garbage disposal issues.
1) Garbage Disposal Won’t Turn On
If your garbage disposal isn’t turning on at all, there are a few possible causes. One possibility is that there is a problem with the power source of the unit. Another possibility is that the garbage disposal was overloaded, which caused its reset switch to trip.
How to Fix
If the garbage disposal isn’t turning on because of a problem with the power source, you’ll need to troubleshoot the issue with your home’s electrical wiring. If the garbage disposal was overloaded, you can reset it by pressing the red button on the unit.
Here are some steps you can take:
- Check to ensure that the garbage disposal is plugged in and turned on.
- If your garbage disposal isn’t working, it might be because the circuit breaker has been tripped. Check the breaker at your home’s electrical panel and reset it if necessary.
- If the switch seems to be working properly, check the circuit breaker to make sure it hasn’t tripped. If it has, reset it and try the switch again.
- If the disposal is still not working, check to see if it is plugged in and if the outlet is working. If it is plugged in and the outlet is working, the disposal may need to be replaced. The wires connecting to the garbage disposal unit may have come loose due to the vibration and need to be tightened.
If your garbage disposal isn’t working and you’ve tried these steps, call your plumber for help. Your plumber can assess the unit and see what might be preventing it from running. If it can’t be fixed, your plumber can help you pick out a new one and install it.
2) Garbage Disposal Hums But Otherwise Doesn’t Work
The flywheel in the garbage disposal may become jammed if you flip the power switch on and the disposal makes a humming noise but does not do anything. If this happens, stop the disposal right away.
If it continues to run while there is a jam, the motor may burn out and ruin the disposal. In this case, you would need to buy a new disposal.
How to Fix
There are two likely reasons your garbage disposal might not be working – a mechanical issue or an electrical issue. If you’re handy with tools, you can do some basic troubleshooting to determine the source of the problem. If you’re not comfortable doing this kind of work, call a professional to help.
The first thing to do is to check the disposal’s reset button. This is a small, red button on the bottom of the disposal. If the disposal is plugged in and the reset button is not tripped, press it and see if the disposal starts. If it doesn’t, there is probably a mechanical issue and you should call a professional.
If your garbage disposal isn’t working, there are a few things you can do to try to fix it. If that doesn’t work, there may be a mechanical issue and you should call a professional. In the next section of this guide, we’ll go over some other fixes that you might need to be aware of.
L.J. Kruse Co. can help you with any crucial garbage disposal issues you might be facing. We are a plumber in Berkeley, CA offering a wide array of services for any of your needs. Get in touch with us today to learn how.