Why You Need AC Maintenance Before Summer Starts
Summer is right around the corner. The last thing you want is for your air conditioning system to fail during the hottest days of the year. With proper AC maintenance, you can ensure that your home stays comfortable all summer long.
In this article from a trusted HVAC company in Berkeley, we will discuss the importance of AC maintenance and the steps you can take to prepare your system for the upcoming summer season:
Why Is AC Maintenance Important?
AC maintenance is essential for several reasons. First and foremost, it ensures that your system is running efficiently, which can help you save money on your energy bills. An AC that isn’t maintained correctly can consume more energy than necessary to cool your home, leading to higher electric bills. Additionally, regular maintenance can extend the lifespan of your system, preventing costly repairs or replacements down the line.
Moreover, a well-maintained AC system provides better indoor air quality. It can remove pollutants and allergens from the air, making breathing easier for you and your family. A poorly maintained system, on the other hand, can circulate dust and other contaminants throughout your home, leading to respiratory problems.
Steps for AC Maintenance
- Replace Air Filters One of the most critical steps in AC maintenance is replacing your air filters. Dirty or clogged filters can reduce airflow, making your system work harder to cool your home. This can lead to higher energy bills and a shorter lifespan for your system. Experts recommend changing filters every 1-3 months, depending on the use level and the filter type.
- Clean the Coils The evaporator and condenser coils in your AC system can collect dirt and debris over time, reducing airflow and decreasing efficiency. Cleaning these coils can improve your system’s performance and save you money on energy costs. However, hiring a professional to clean the coils is essential, as using the wrong cleaning solution or technique can damage the coils and harm your system’s performance.
- Check the Refrigerant Levels Refrigerant is the substance that effectively cools the air in your AC system. If your system is quite low on refrigerant, it will not cool your home efficiently. A professional technician can check your system’s refrigerant levels and add more if necessary. However, if your system is low on refrigerant, it may be a sign of a leak, which needs to be addressed immediately by a professional.
- Inspect the Ductwork Leaks or blockages in your ductwork can reduce airflow and decrease the efficiency of your AC system. A professional technician can inspect your ductwork, identify any issues, and repair or clean them to improve your system’s performance.
- Test the Thermostat A malfunctioning thermostat can cause your AC system to run inefficiently or not at all. It is essential to test your thermostat before the summer season begins to ensure that it is working correctly. Notice any issues, such as inaccurate temperature readings or unresponsive controls. It may be the perfect time to replace your thermostat.
- Schedule Regular Maintenance Regular maintenance is crucial for running your AC system efficiently and extending its lifespan. It is recommended to schedule professional AC maintenance at least once a year, preferably before the summer season begins. An experienced technician can identify and address any issues with your system, ensuring that it runs smoothly and efficiently all summer long.
AC maintenance is essential for ensuring that your system runs efficiently, provides clean indoor air quality, and saves you money on energy bills. By following the steps outlined in this post, you can prepare your system for the upcoming summer season and avoid costly repairs or replacements.
Remember to schedule regular maintenance with a professional HVAC company to keep your AC system running smoothly and efficiently for years.
L.J. Kruse Co. is a family-run business based in Berkeley, California, specializing in plumbing, heating, and cooling services for residential and commercial customers. Ask us about our Berkeley heating and AC solutions!
Leave a Comment